Thursday, November 26, 2009

First trimester fatigue

A Choice Mom 8 weeks pregnant feels exhausted at even the thought of throwing out trash, cleaning her house, making dinner, going to more doctor appointments alone -- and spending the upcoming holidays with sometimes disapproving family. She got some great "been there" support from others about the first trimester blues.

Here's a post from Kristina that well encapsulated the insight:


It will get better. I promise. My house was a complete pigsty by the time my first trimester was done. I still remember the day actually got to vacuum everything. It felt sooooo good. I did only what I had to (i.e. the cat litter box, the kitchen and the bathroom laundry only when I ran out of underwear and once I bought more, because it seemed simpler).

I had a list of people that I called after each appointment. They never asked to be called, I just called them, and they always welcomed the news. It made it a little better, and I really liked my OB. I had been going to him for years. I didn't even care that he was out of network on my secondary insurance it was worth the cost.

Breathing maybe harder because everything is pushing up before it pushes out. I never really got relief as I carried my son high until he dropped 4 weeks before I delivered.

On the food front. I gave up bring my lunch to work. It was too hard to decide what I would want to eat come lunch time, and most of the time in the morning that thought of any food made me just want to throw up. I don't remember what I did for most dinners, but I never left the house without an emergency snack of some sort.

All of this got better in the second trimester. I would take the third trimester any day over the first. In fact the thought of another first trimester is a big consideration in T42.

What about you? Any insight from your own experience?

No comments: